The last rays of the afternoon sun recede in silent beauty behind the Waianae Mountain range. This photo was taken from the Magic Island Recreation area near Honolulu's Ala Moana Beach Park.
The week ended beautifully with this stunning sunset that I captured at Ala Moana Beach Park. Overall there wasn't much to report for the week except that it started with the threat of a major hurricane hitting the state by Tuesday. By the time Hurricane Daniel made it to Hawaii waters, it had been downgraded to a tropical storm, depression and dissipated a day before it got here. The former storm dumped some rain on the Big Island, but left Oahu unscathed.
What was a little more stunning this week was the fact that I actually felt a very mild earthquake in Honolulu. There I was at work, sitting at my computer when I heard some dull noise and noticed a slight shaking that lasted for about 3 seconds. The earthquake happened on Thursday morning. I was not sure that it was an earthquake when I felt it until I heard the reports coming into KSSK radio and read about it on the internet later that morning. In the end, the trembler was clocked at about 4.4 on the Richter scale. From where I was it barely qualified as a "3".
Newswise, the week was probably highlighted by the fact that candidates who wanted to run for elective office this year had to file and announce by Tuesday, July 25. Many of the expected faces decided to run, while several newcomers showed up near the last minute with some familiar faces dropping out of the scene. I will write more about the election as the weeks go by. You can get the latest candidate list by clicking here: Hawaii Elections website. (PDF)
No comments:
Post a Comment