It looks like the election season is ramping up with new polls, news and speculation of who's running for what. This weekend Hawaii News Now and the Honolulu Star Advertiser released results from their Governor's poll that showed the following:
| Candidate Name / Party | Favorable | Unfavorable | Never Heard |
|---|---|---|---|
| Governor Neil Abercrombie (D) | 45% | 48% | less than 1% |
| Lt. Gov. Shan Tsutsui (D) | 20% | 9% | 56% |
| State Sen. David Ige (D) | 30% | 9% | 38% |
| Former Lt. Gov. James Duke Aiona (R) | 58% | 26% | 4% |
| Former Honolulu Mayor Mufi Hannemann (I?) | 45% | 45% | 2% |
SEE THE POLL RESULTS AT HAWAII NEWS NOW with video
COMMENTARY: Duke Aiona ahead of the pack? Hard to believe that one at this time considering he had a lousy campaign in 2010 when he was running against Neil Abercrombie.
Of course it is early in the season and it is highly likely that these numbers will change and skew toward the incumbent. Hawaii is a Democratic state and there is no way that I can see Mr. Aiona winning this race.
With the speculative run of Mufi Hannemann as an independent, thereby throwing the Governor's race into a three way battle, it is more than likely Mufi will be the spoiler and Abercrombie will win another term. In recent Hawaii history, a strong third party candidate has only benefitted the incumbent and hurt the Republican challenger.
I remain undecided on this race though I already know that I won't be voting for Abercrombie or Hannemann. I don't like the fact that they are 2 of the biggest supporters of "rail".
- Mel
No comments:
Post a Comment