www.flickr.com

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Hawaii Quarter



Governor Linda Lingle selected the Hawaii Quarter design at a press conference yesterday. The Hawaii Quarter will be minted in 2008 and will be the final coin of the 50 state series that was started by the U.S. Mint in 1999. Governor Lingle predicts that this will be one of the most sought after coins in the series. The reverse design will feature King Kamehameha the Great, a map of the 8 Hawaiian islands, the state motto, Statehood date (1959) and the familiar "E Pluribus Unum." Like all the other coins before it, the figure of President George Washington will be featured on the obverse side.

The selection process was made by a committee with the finalists put up to popular vote through an internet website. I personally liked a design with a surfer and Diamond Head in the background. I found out that design only garnered 13% of the public vote. The public went for the one chosen by the Governor that features King Kamehameha and the 8 Hawaiian islands. I liked the one with King Kamehameha and Diamond Head, but committee members thought it was too "Oahu centric". It had a better design than the final selection, but I can see the reasoning for picking the one that is now approved.
Photo from the Office of the Governor.

No comments: