
Canon, the top maker of photo products including digital and film cameras, announced yesterday that they are looking into the possibility of discontinuing production of 35mm film SLR and compact cameras. They are the latest in a long parade of camera manufacturers who have announced and followed through with the discontinuation of film cameras. Bottom line is that the bottom of the film camera market has fallen out as many people all over the world have embraced the wild world of digital photography.
Canon will be joining other camera makers in the discontinuation of film cameras. They include Nikon, who announced the same earlier this year, Konica-Minolta, who pulled out of the camera business altogether (selling their digital assets to Sony), Olympus, Pentax and Kodak. About the only market that film still thrives is at the very low end where disposable cameras are still popular.
It is kind of sad to see film go, but I like millions of others have embraced digital photography with a vengeance. The entry into digital photography is a bit steep no matter what kind of camera you buy. Digital cameras are simply more expensive than most of their film counterparts, especially at the high end where digital SLRs now rule. Still in the long run, digital is cheaper because you eliminate the cost of having to always buy film and in most cases taking the film to the processor and having them develop it all. With digital we get an almost unlimited supply of "film", and instant gratification to see the results of what you shot and the immediate ability to do with your photos whatever you want to do with them.... as long as you have a computer (in most cases).
I've been shooting pictures for many years and have gone through a long parade of film cameras. Fact is I have several perfectly good film cameras like the Minolta X700 that is pictured above. Sadly, I hardly ever use these cameras and shooting digital is more satisfying and immediate. Still, I hang on to my film cameras for those times when I may feel nostalgic and want to spend money buying and processing film.
Canon will be joining other camera makers in the discontinuation of film cameras. They include Nikon, who announced the same earlier this year, Konica-Minolta, who pulled out of the camera business altogether (selling their digital assets to Sony), Olympus, Pentax and Kodak. About the only market that film still thrives is at the very low end where disposable cameras are still popular.
It is kind of sad to see film go, but I like millions of others have embraced digital photography with a vengeance. The entry into digital photography is a bit steep no matter what kind of camera you buy. Digital cameras are simply more expensive than most of their film counterparts, especially at the high end where digital SLRs now rule. Still in the long run, digital is cheaper because you eliminate the cost of having to always buy film and in most cases taking the film to the processor and having them develop it all. With digital we get an almost unlimited supply of "film", and instant gratification to see the results of what you shot and the immediate ability to do with your photos whatever you want to do with them.... as long as you have a computer (in most cases).
I've been shooting pictures for many years and have gone through a long parade of film cameras. Fact is I have several perfectly good film cameras like the Minolta X700 that is pictured above. Sadly, I hardly ever use these cameras and shooting digital is more satisfying and immediate. Still, I hang on to my film cameras for those times when I may feel nostalgic and want to spend money buying and processing film.
No comments:
Post a Comment